Showing posts with label Burundi. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Burundi. Show all posts

Friday, 11 September 2015

Burundi army chief escapes assassination attempt

Burundi army chief escapes assassination attempt



The head of Burundi’s armed forces has survived an assassination attempt in the capital Bujumbura, police said, adding that at least seven other people were killed in the attack.

“There was an attack against the armed forces chief, General Prime Niyongabo, but happily he was unharmed,” Burundi’s deputy police chief, General Godefroid Bizimana, told AFP news agency.

He said two attackers were killed in the clash, and a third arrested. Another senior police source said four bodyguards were also killed, as well as a female police officer.

“Reinforcements have arrived. We are pursuing the remainder of the commandos,” Bizimana.

Another senior police source, who asked not to be named, said the attack appeared to have been “meticulously prepared”.

“It was sudden and violent. Four bodyguards were killed instantly. He managed to survive only because the driver managed to overtake a bus transporting police officers to work, and the attackers could not keep up,” said the source, adding that the attackers were wearing military uniforms and travelling in a military vehicle.

Tensions remain high in the central African nation following President Pierre Nkurunziza’s successful bid for a third term in power in July. Nkurunziza won a highly-controversial third term in July in polls the United Nations said were not free or fair.

His bid sparked an attempted coup and months of civil unrest led by opposition groups, who condemned his re-election bid as unconstitutional. There has also been a string of killings since his re-election, including the assassination of his top security chief in a rocket attack last month.

Many have raised alarm bells at the risk of renewed conflict in Burundi, which lies in the heart of central Africa’s troubled Great Lakes region. At least 300,000 people were killed in a civil war there which ran from 1993-2006.

-AJE
Burundi army chief escapes assassination attempt

Burundi army chief escapes assassination attempt



The head of Burundi’s armed forces has survived an assassination attempt in the capital Bujumbura, police said, adding that at least seven other people were killed in the attack.

“There was an attack against the armed forces chief, General Prime Niyongabo, but happily he was unharmed,” Burundi’s deputy police chief, General Godefroid Bizimana, told AFP news agency.

He said two attackers were killed in the clash, and a third arrested. Another senior police source said four bodyguards were also killed, as well as a female police officer.

“Reinforcements have arrived. We are pursuing the remainder of the commandos,” Bizimana.

Another senior police source, who asked not to be named, said the attack appeared to have been “meticulously prepared”.

“It was sudden and violent. Four bodyguards were killed instantly. He managed to survive only because the driver managed to overtake a bus transporting police officers to work, and the attackers could not keep up,” said the source, adding that the attackers were wearing military uniforms and travelling in a military vehicle.

Tensions remain high in the central African nation following President Pierre Nkurunziza’s successful bid for a third term in power in July. Nkurunziza won a highly-controversial third term in July in polls the United Nations said were not free or fair.

His bid sparked an attempted coup and months of civil unrest led by opposition groups, who condemned his re-election bid as unconstitutional. There has also been a string of killings since his re-election, including the assassination of his top security chief in a rocket attack last month.

Many have raised alarm bells at the risk of renewed conflict in Burundi, which lies in the heart of central Africa’s troubled Great Lakes region. At least 300,000 people were killed in a civil war there which ran from 1993-2006.

-AJE

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Burundi’s former head of intelligence declared a coup in the East African nation after more than two weeks of protests sparked by President Pierre Nkurunziza’s plan to seek a third term in office.

“Burundian President Nkurunziza is no longer president,” Major-General Godefroid Niyombare said in a broadcast on state radio in the capital, Bujumbura, on Wednesday. “The government is dissolved, permanent secretaries of ministries will ensure” day-to-day business, he said.

Niyombare’s announcement came after the army surrounded the offices of state radio in the capital. Police earlier fired live bullets and tear gas at demonstrators who tried to storm parliament and attacked one of the offices of the ruling party. Nkurunziza is scheduled to attend a summit of regional leaders in Tanzania on Wednesday to discuss the political crisis in Burundi.

Protests erupted in Burundi on April 26 after Nkurunziza’s CNDD-FDD party nominated him to run in a presidential vote set for June 26. At least 20 people have died in the violence, according to Pacifique Nininahazwe, head of the Forum for Conscience and Development advocacy group. Critics of Nkurunziza say he’ll flout a two-term limit by running in the elections. The president’s supporters argue that he’s only been popularly elected once because his first term was an appointment by parliament.

Niyombare was removed as intelligence chief by Nkurunziza in mid-February after only three months in the post. No reason was given for the decision, which Radio France Internationale reported at the time may have stemmed from his opposition to the president seeking a third term. He had previously served as chief of staff of the country’s defense force.
Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Breaking News: Coup in Burundi - Army general says president is ousted

Burundi’s former head of intelligence declared a coup in the East African nation after more than two weeks of protests sparked by President Pierre Nkurunziza’s plan to seek a third term in office.

“Burundian President Nkurunziza is no longer president,” Major-General Godefroid Niyombare said in a broadcast on state radio in the capital, Bujumbura, on Wednesday. “The government is dissolved, permanent secretaries of ministries will ensure” day-to-day business, he said.

Niyombare’s announcement came after the army surrounded the offices of state radio in the capital. Police earlier fired live bullets and tear gas at demonstrators who tried to storm parliament and attacked one of the offices of the ruling party. Nkurunziza is scheduled to attend a summit of regional leaders in Tanzania on Wednesday to discuss the political crisis in Burundi.

Protests erupted in Burundi on April 26 after Nkurunziza’s CNDD-FDD party nominated him to run in a presidential vote set for June 26. At least 20 people have died in the violence, according to Pacifique Nininahazwe, head of the Forum for Conscience and Development advocacy group. Critics of Nkurunziza say he’ll flout a two-term limit by running in the elections. The president’s supporters argue that he’s only been popularly elected once because his first term was an appointment by parliament.

Niyombare was removed as intelligence chief by Nkurunziza in mid-February after only three months in the post. No reason was given for the decision, which Radio France Internationale reported at the time may have stemmed from his opposition to the president seeking a third term. He had previously served as chief of staff of the country’s defense force.

Photos

Photos