Showing posts with label NBC. Show all posts
Showing posts with label NBC. Show all posts

Friday, 14 October 2016

Buhari orders EFCC to return N10bn to NBC

Buhari orders EFCC to return N10bn to NBC

Image result for buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the return of N10bn seized from the National Broadcasting Commission by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. The Director-General of NBC, Mallam Is’haq Kawu, said this in Abuja on Thursday at a press conference to announce the 20th edition of Africa Broadcasting Conference and Exhibition coming up in Abuja next week.

The money is part of the funds realised by the NBC from the controversial sale of frequency to MTN Nigeria Communications Limited.

The funds had been a subject of probe by the EFCC following allegation that the broadcast regulatory agency failed to remit it to the Treasury Single Account at the time prescribed by the Federal Government.

The NBC had claimed that the funds were meant for projects being executed for the country’s migration to digital broadcasting.

Kawu said the funds would be channelled towards projects and programmes aimed at achieving the transition to digital broadcasting for which a deadline of June 2017 had been set.

He added that the NBC was planning to establish a content development for the broadcast industry as the era of digitisation was expected to create immense need for content development as a result of multiple channels to be witnessed in the new era.

The NBC boss said, “We are going to assist a lot of young people to get finances for the production of their contents. We are thinking in terms of content development fund within the NBC and the NBC also provides opportunity for young content providers.”

According to Kawu, a 10 per cent increase in the digitisation of the broadcast industry is predicted to create one million new jobs.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has given assurance that the digital switchover from analogue television would be achieved in the Federal Capital Territory before the end of the year.

Mohammed gave the assurance after a guided facility tour of Pinnacle Communication Limited – the licensed signal distributor of the DSO in the FCT and Trefonics, a manufacturer of Set-Top-Boxes.

He said it was imperative to ascertain the level of preparation of all the stakeholders in order to ensure a successful roll-out in Abuja.

The minister said, “We are very much on track but I think it’s important to understand what the Digital Switch Over entails. It entails that all the component actors be ready.”

He expressed satisfaction with the signal distributor as well as the Set-Top-Box manufacturer, adding that they were on track to meeting the switch over date.

-Punch

Thursday, 20 August 2015

Naeto C reacts to ban on ‘Tony Montana’ song

Naeto C reacts to ban on ‘Tony Montana’ song



Following the recent ban of some songs by the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) over excessive display of nudity, promotion of violence, drug trafficking, vulgar lyrics, Nigerian music act, Naeto C has reacted to the ban on his ‘Tony Montana’ song, featuring D’Banj.

NBC which prides in promoting Nigerian indigenous cultures, moral and community life through broadcasting has over time banned songs that contradict its core values. NBC to this effect released a memo which was sent to Television and Radio stations across the country, stating that certain songs are not to be played henceforth.

Other songs banned include, ‘Fans Mi’ video by Davido, Zule Zoo’s ‘Kerewa’, ‘Shakiti Bobo’ by Olamide and a host of others. The Nigerian rapper, through a picture mix, posted the disclaimer shown in his ‘Tony Montana’ video, affirming that the story line and scenes were all works of fiction.

He wrote:

“This video is a work of fiction created for your viewing pleasure and in no way promotes violence or the use of firearms.”
Naeto C reacts to ban on ‘Tony Montana’ song

Naeto C reacts to ban on ‘Tony Montana’ song



Following the recent ban of some songs by the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) over excessive display of nudity, promotion of violence, drug trafficking, vulgar lyrics, Nigerian music act, Naeto C has reacted to the ban on his ‘Tony Montana’ song, featuring D’Banj.

NBC which prides in promoting Nigerian indigenous cultures, moral and community life through broadcasting has over time banned songs that contradict its core values. NBC to this effect released a memo which was sent to Television and Radio stations across the country, stating that certain songs are not to be played henceforth.

Other songs banned include, ‘Fans Mi’ video by Davido, Zule Zoo’s ‘Kerewa’, ‘Shakiti Bobo’ by Olamide and a host of others. The Nigerian rapper, through a picture mix, posted the disclaimer shown in his ‘Tony Montana’ video, affirming that the story line and scenes were all works of fiction.

He wrote:

“This video is a work of fiction created for your viewing pleasure and in no way promotes violence or the use of firearms.”

Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Breach of broadcasting code: Commission releases list of defaulting media houses

Breach of broadcasting code: Commission releases list of defaulting media houses



The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) on Monday released the list of broadcasting stations that contravened the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting code from the beginning of electioneering campaign to date. A statement signed by the commission’s Director/Head, Public Affairs, Alhaji Awwalu Salihu, in Abuja, said the contraventions included breaches of the rules on the broadcast of sponsored campaign materials.

Other breaches were the airing of campaign materials or programmes that promoted political parties or candidates within the 24-hour prohibited period, as well as unauthorised networking by a group of stations. The statement said that NTA breached the sensibilities rules while AIT and NTA both breached the rules on airing sponsored materials.

According to the statement, Rima Radio, Sokoto and BSES, Ekiti defaulted on denial of access. The further said that 15 stations nationwide breached the code for advertising and promoting a political party after campaigns had stopped 24 hours to election time. The stations included Liberty TV, Liberty FM, Karama FM, Alheri FM, NTA, AIT, Rima Radio, STV Lagos, TVC Lagos, NTV, PRTV, Jos, NTA Makurdi, Vision FM and Nigeria Info,

Others were BECOS TV, NTA Jos, Gombe Media Corporation Radio FM, OSBC TV and Freedom TV Ilesha. According to the statement, all the stations involved had been either queried or outrightly sanctioned, according to the provisions of the Nigerian Broadcasting code.

(NAN)
Breach of broadcasting code: Commission releases list of defaulting media houses

Breach of broadcasting code: Commission releases list of defaulting media houses



The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) on Monday released the list of broadcasting stations that contravened the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting code from the beginning of electioneering campaign to date. A statement signed by the commission’s Director/Head, Public Affairs, Alhaji Awwalu Salihu, in Abuja, said the contraventions included breaches of the rules on the broadcast of sponsored campaign materials.

Other breaches were the airing of campaign materials or programmes that promoted political parties or candidates within the 24-hour prohibited period, as well as unauthorised networking by a group of stations. The statement said that NTA breached the sensibilities rules while AIT and NTA both breached the rules on airing sponsored materials.

According to the statement, Rima Radio, Sokoto and BSES, Ekiti defaulted on denial of access. The further said that 15 stations nationwide breached the code for advertising and promoting a political party after campaigns had stopped 24 hours to election time. The stations included Liberty TV, Liberty FM, Karama FM, Alheri FM, NTA, AIT, Rima Radio, STV Lagos, TVC Lagos, NTV, PRTV, Jos, NTA Makurdi, Vision FM and Nigeria Info,

Others were BECOS TV, NTA Jos, Gombe Media Corporation Radio FM, OSBC TV and Freedom TV Ilesha. According to the statement, all the stations involved had been either queried or outrightly sanctioned, according to the provisions of the Nigerian Broadcasting code.

(NAN)

Photos

Photos