Showing posts with label United Nations. Show all posts
Showing posts with label United Nations. Show all posts

Tuesday, 22 November 2016

3.9 billion people lack access to internet, UN says

3.9 billion people lack access to internet, UN says

Image result for people rushing to touch laptop

More than half the world’s population does not use the internet, with prohibitive broadband costs keeping billions off line, a United Nations report said Tuesday.

The UN’s International Telecommunications Union said that 3.9 billion people do not have home or mobile internet access and that the problem was most acute among the world’s “female, elderly, less educated, lower income and rural (populations).”

One problem is the cost of fixed-broadband access, which has fallen globally over the last decade but remained “clearly unaffordable” in many of the world’s poorest countries, the ITU said.

In 2008, the global average price for a basic fixed-broadband connection was $80 (75 euros) per month, a figure which fell to $25 a month last year, according to the ITU.

But, in poorer countries a fixed-broadband monthly package with just one gigabyte of data — which is roughly the amount needed to download an average movie — still costs more than half of an average annual salary.

With fixed broadband so expensive, mobile internet access can offer a solution to get more people online the ITU said, noting that mobile-broadband networks technically cover 84 percent of the world’s population.

But for many it is the cost of the handset, rather than the monthly subscription, which remained the biggest economic barrier to mobile internet access, according to the ITU.

“In 2016 people no longer go online, they are online,” the report said. “Yet many people are still not using the internet, and many users do not fully benefit from its potential.”

To increase digital access globally, the UN agency said it needed better data about who was being shut out of the information technology world.

“A data revolution is needed to better understand who uses the internet, where and how,” the report explained.

Addressing the problems with the data set that has been predominate for years, ITU highlighted that mobile phone subscriptions, long cited as a connectivity indicator, no longer reliably reflected actual mobile phone use.

While there are nearly as many mobile subscriptions in the world as there are people, in some regions up to 40 percent of people do not own or use a mobile phone, suggesting the huge number of people with multiple subscriptions had skewed the data.

Thursday, 22 September 2016

Buhari Invites UN mediation for Chibok schoolgirls

Buhari Invites UN mediation for Chibok schoolgirls

Buhari Invites UN mediation for Chibok schoolgirls

President Muhammadu Buhari has said that Nigeria will welcome intermediaries from the UN on the proposed swapping of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls with Boko Haram fighters held in custody.

The president made the proposal at a meeting with the UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, on the sidelines of the 71st UN General Assembly in New York.

The President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, confirmed Buhari’s position in a statement in Abuja on Thursday.

The president said the decision to welcome the UN was to show the administration’s commitment to get the girls released.

He said the government was willing to bend over backward to get the Chibok girls released from captivity.

Buhari, however, noted: “The challenge is in getting credible and bona fide leadership of Boko Haram to discuss with,” the President said, adding that, “The split in the insurgent group is not helping matters. Government had reached out, ready to negotiate, but it became difficult to identify credible leaders. We will welcome intermediaries such as UN outfits, to step in.”

The President reiterated that the teachings of Boko Haram were far from being Islamic, as neither Islam, nor any other religion, advocates hurting the weak and innocent.

“The fact that they kill men, women, children, and other people wantonly, and shout Allahu Akbar(God is great) shows that they do not know that Allah at all. If they did, they would not shed innocent blood,” President Buhari said.

He thanked Ban Ki-moon for the moral and material support given to Nigeria, which has enabled the country surmount many of the challenges facing her.

In his response, the UN Secretary-General congratulated President Buhari on the anti-corruption war, declaring: “You are highly respected by world leaders, including myself. Your persona has given your country a positive image.”

He said the UN recognized the achievements of the Buhari administration against Boko Haram, urging that human rights be upheld always, to prevent a repeat of the scenario being witnessed in Syria.

Ban Ki-moon also thanked the Nigerian leader for his commitment to issues on climate change, adding that the government should “own the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs),” for the good of its citizens.

-PM


Friday, 11 March 2016

Horror: South Sudan's government allows fighters to rape women as a form of Payment - UN Report

Horror: South Sudan's government allows fighters to rape women as a form of Payment - UN Report

'Horrendous human rights situation': South Sudanese government fighters  are being allowed to rape women as a form of payment during the country's two-year civil war (file picture of unconnected fighters)

South Sudan allows fighters to rape women as payment while children and the disabled are burned alive in 'one of the most horrendous human rights situations in the world', a UN report has found. The UN human rights office painted a harrowing picture of civilians suspected of supporting the opposition being torched, suffocated in shipping containers, hanged from trees and cut to pieces.

In scorching detail, the report cited cases of parents being forced to watch their children being raped during the country's two-year civil war. It said investigators received information that some armed militias affiliated with government forces 'raided cattle, stole personal property, raped and abducted women and girls' as a type of payment.

UN human rights chief Zeid Raad al-Hussein said: 'The quantity of rapes and gang-rapes described in the report must only be a snapshot of the real total.

'This is one of the most horrendous human rights situations in the world, with massive use of rape as an instrument of terror and weapon of war, yet it has been more or less off the international radar.'

His office said attacks against civilians, forced disappearances, rape and other violations could amount to war crimes and crimes against humanity. The UN report released Friday is the work of an assessment team deployed in South Sudan between October and January and says 'state actors' bear most responsibility for the crimes.

It said Zeid recommends that the UN Security Council consider expanding sanctions already in place by imposing a 'comprehensive arms embargo' on South Sudan and consider referring the matter to the International Criminal Court if other judicial avenues fail.

The human rights situation has 'dramatically deteriorated' since South Sudan erupted into civil war in December 2013, the report said. The crisis stemmed from a falling-out between President Salva Kiir and his deputy, Riek Machar, that boiled over into an armed rebellion.

Tens of thousands have died and at least two million people have been displaced from their homes.
The 17-page report notes that UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon had already in May 2014 pointed to 'reasonable grounds' to consider that crimes against humanity had been committed in South Sudan.

In a sign that little has been done since then, the report said 'the killings, sexual violence, displacement, destruction and looting that were the hallmarks of the conflict through 2014 continued unabated through 2015.'

Recommendations in previous reports to the UN's Human Rights Council, a 47-member body currently in session in Geneva, 'remain largely unimplemented,' it said.

Monday, 17 August 2015

Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

The UN said on Monday in Abuja that it has sponsored 500 victims of Boko Haram violence from three North-East states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe to acquire vocational skills. Mr Matthew Alao, UN Conflict Prevention and Peace Building Analyst, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the programme was under the UNDP Livelihood Support Scheme for the zone.

Alao explained that an orientation programme for the 500 selected beneficiaries would commence today, August 17, at the Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre in Jos, Plateau. According to him, the skills acquisition programme is the first phase of intervention by the UN to ameliorate the sufferings of the displaced persons.

Alao said that the skills training would cover hair dressing, tailoring, knitting, catering and decorations as well as GSM repair, shoe-making, leather works and computer studies. According to him, the participants will also undertake specialised training on conflict resolution and peace building.

Alao said, “A total of 500 beneficiaries who are victims of Boko Haram from three North East states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe will be placed in a two-week compulsory orientation programme.

“They are going to undergo physical exercise, training, capacity building on mediation, conflict prevention, conflict transformation, social integration, peaceful coexistence for two weeks. “We received over 2,000 applications and engaged in rigorous screening exercise out of which we selected the 500 that genuinely need this assistance.

“We took the successful 500 candidates for 2-weeks intensive course on mental and physical training.
“We are also going to train them on mediation and conflict transformation as well as business management; after that, we will put then on six-month to one-year training.”

The UN official noted the intervention was necessitated by the negative effects of the activities of Boko Haram insurgency on the people of the North-East. “Some of them had means of livelihood before, but unfortunately their means of sustaining livelihood have been cut short because of the Boko Haram insurgency.

“But we want to assure them that for every one that is impacted in one way or the other, they will be accommodated in the various phases of the Early Recovery Programme,” he said. Alao said that the UN would continue to support the displace persons until peace was restored in the area. “We have been assisting in one way or the other to see that there is peace and stability in the state.

“One aspect that guarantee peace and stability is by getting the people engaged particularly the youth and the widows.”
Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

Boko Haram: UN sponsors 500 victims for vocational skills

The UN said on Monday in Abuja that it has sponsored 500 victims of Boko Haram violence from three North-East states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe to acquire vocational skills. Mr Matthew Alao, UN Conflict Prevention and Peace Building Analyst, told the News Agency of Nigeria that the programme was under the UNDP Livelihood Support Scheme for the zone.

Alao explained that an orientation programme for the 500 selected beneficiaries would commence today, August 17, at the Citizenship and Leadership Training Centre in Jos, Plateau. According to him, the skills acquisition programme is the first phase of intervention by the UN to ameliorate the sufferings of the displaced persons.

Alao said that the skills training would cover hair dressing, tailoring, knitting, catering and decorations as well as GSM repair, shoe-making, leather works and computer studies. According to him, the participants will also undertake specialised training on conflict resolution and peace building.

Alao said, “A total of 500 beneficiaries who are victims of Boko Haram from three North East states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe will be placed in a two-week compulsory orientation programme.

“They are going to undergo physical exercise, training, capacity building on mediation, conflict prevention, conflict transformation, social integration, peaceful coexistence for two weeks. “We received over 2,000 applications and engaged in rigorous screening exercise out of which we selected the 500 that genuinely need this assistance.

“We took the successful 500 candidates for 2-weeks intensive course on mental and physical training.
“We are also going to train them on mediation and conflict transformation as well as business management; after that, we will put then on six-month to one-year training.”

The UN official noted the intervention was necessitated by the negative effects of the activities of Boko Haram insurgency on the people of the North-East. “Some of them had means of livelihood before, but unfortunately their means of sustaining livelihood have been cut short because of the Boko Haram insurgency.

“But we want to assure them that for every one that is impacted in one way or the other, they will be accommodated in the various phases of the Early Recovery Programme,” he said. Alao said that the UN would continue to support the displace persons until peace was restored in the area. “We have been assisting in one way or the other to see that there is peace and stability in the state.

“One aspect that guarantee peace and stability is by getting the people engaged particularly the youth and the widows.”

Photos

Photos